Thursday, October 2, 2014

A KaiKini Confession

Guest blogger Marina here, Quality Control Manager and seamstress for those KaiKinis you love so much. The most wonderful Andrea asked me to step in for this post and talk about my first experience with a KaiKini. Little did she know that…

I have a confession to make. 

My first time owning and wearing a bikini wasn't until after I started working at KaiKini (gasp!). As in, my first KaiKini was my first bikini! Up until that point, I’d never bought a bikini before. Like, NEVER EVER.  Why, you ask? Truth be told, I’m pretty self-conscious. Similar to many other girls out there, I easily find fault with what I see in the mirror, especially when it comes to my bikini body.  I pretty much never felt 'bikini ready.'  I was never comfortable enough to show that much skin so I stuck with unflattering, ill-fitting one pieces and tankinis. It took a move to Hawaii and a job at KaiKini to open my eyes to the possibility of wearing something other than the potato sacks I was used to.

There is something really awesome about Kauai. Actually, there are a TON of awesome things about Kauai, but there is one thing in particular: girls here, of all shapes and sizes, ROCK their bikinis. From high coverage to barely there Brazilians, women here strut their stuff and are proud of it. Never before have I seen as much self-confidence as I've seen walking the beaches of this beautiful island. And you know what? Self-confidence is contagious. If all of these women could kill it in a bikini, why couldn't I??

And this is where KaiKini comes in. When I first started working with Taryn and the girls, I had this mental block about our Kinis. NO WAY would I EVER wear something so cheeky and revealing!

A little known fact about KaiKini (Shhhh! Don’t let Taryn know I told you!):
As quality control manager, I make sure that every single piece produced in our small studio is up to our high standards.  If there is ever a flaw in one of our suits that cannot be fixed, like a hole in the fabric or broken elastic, it will sometimes end up in one of the KaiKini girls’ Kini collections. (Side Note: The downside to being such an awesome team of seamstresses is that flaws like this RARELY happen but when they do, the first thing everyone asks is, “What size is it?!”). We all have a few castaway, un-sellable bikinis in our possession and it was a suit like this that had the honor of becoming my-first-bikini-oh-my-god!

I remember it like it was yesterday… it was a black Okole with a hole. Now, the awesome thing about our Okole bottom is that not only does it offer more coverage than a Kai, but for girls out there who may not be as well-endowed in the booty department (like yours truly) it has this awesome ability to give what you've got some extra oomph! Thanks in large part to the scrunch in the back, the Okole silhouettes your bum and gives it a nice heart shape, magically making it look, well, better.  When I first tried it on, while still self-conscious and not ready to wear it in public, I did have to admit that my tukas looked the best it ever has in a swimsuit.  No saggy fabric or ‘diaper butt’ here!


So that was my first experience with a KaiKini. I have to say, it’s taken me a long time to get to the point of wearing a bikini in public. I’m still self-conscious and am not yet able to strut my stuff and rock it, but I’m getting there. I’m a bit biased because I actually make the bikinis I wear, but I truly have to say that if not for KaiKini, I might still be wearing my ugly tankinis and lamenting my awful tan lines. Not only am I proud to say that my stomach now gets to see the light of day, but my KaiKinis still remain the only bikinis I own. 



I guess the moral of my story and the message I’d like to share is this:
For those of you dreaming about one day wearing a bikini: you’ll get there. Take baby steps. Ease into it. Find the cut and fit that makes you feel the best. Go to an isolated place and wear your Kini without fear.  Work your way to the point of being happy in your own skin and of what you've got. Oh, and if your first suit happens to be a KaiKini, awesome!! Wear it knowing that we were thinking about YOU when we made it and that we see you as beautiful no matter what. But even if a KaiKini isn't the first suit you've ever owned, or even if you don’t own a KaiKini, wear whatever helps you feel like the goddess you are. 

Now go out there and strut your stuff, Kini lovers!

XOXO
Marina

P.S. What’s YOUR first bikini story? We’d love to hear about it in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you Marina! I visited Kauai for the first time in 2011 and I was pleasantly surprised to discover exactly what you described about ALL shapes and sizes rocking bikini's! I have had four kids and have a mommy tummy even though I am slender. My fiance' tells me he loves my mommy body and has encouraged me to wear bikini's, so for the first time in my life that's just what I'm doing! It was hard at first, I'm shy to begin with! You are right about Kaikini's making the most of your "okole", I got the Kai and absolutely love it.
    Continued success to Kaikini's, they are beautiful, unique and very well made.
    Mahalo for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marina! I love this beautiful and honest post about your work and your first "kini"... I think I saw you right before you moved out there, so glad to hear you are having a blast!! I don't know if I have a first bikini story but I can definitely identify at not feeling great in one. Love your positive message! xo

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for your comments and feedback!